Thursday, June 2, 2011

Brain Trust - Phill Bryant

Mississippi Lieutenant Governor, Phil Bryant, came on the Matt Friedeman Show to describe how faith and politics intersect, especially in light of recent natural disasters.
 
How important is it that people of faith run for office? 
It's critical, Matt.
 
I don't know how someone can operate in an office like Lieutenant Governor or Governor without faith.
 
You depend on your faith.
 
I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the Lord, and said, 'Help me grasp why this occured.'
 
It personally critical for your wellbeing to have that faith.
 
I have reporters who are shocked when I tell them my goal is to not have any abortion in Mississippi.
 
When you have organization or indivials who try to give you money to influence your decisions, you have to say no.
 
That's all a faith-based position I think you have to have if you're going to serve well in an office like Governor of the state of Mississippi.
How involved are people of faith in natural disasters? 
Oh, it's been amazing, Matt.
 
Just like in Katrina, we've seen churches turning out in record numbers.
 
I'm on the board of the Salvation Army...the reason I became involved with the Salvation Army as my charity of choice is because it's a Christian ministry.
 
My pastor came to me and said, "What can we do." Well the school's closed...so perhaps we can get some WalMart card and let the superintendent distrubute those.
 
We were able to buy 165 of those gift cards.
 
That's the type of thing that has been going on with faith-based groups here in Mississippi.
Is the government doing a better job here with these tornadoes and flood? 
I think so.
 
The one thing people have to understand is that government can't solve all your problems after a disaster...that's where churches come in, Salvation Army, United Way is doing a great job.
 
So we just need to understand that we cannot be totally dependent upon government everytime something occurs.
 
When you live in areas affected by weather, you have responsibilities as does your insurance company.
Are you in contact with officials from other states? 
We do. Just the other day I was talking with the Lt. Gov. of Florida, and she was offering help.
 
We have contracters who are volunteering to help other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment