Monday, July 25, 2011

Raising the debt ceiling without raising taxes? Republicans will have to "pull a Houdini"

Jay Nordlinger, a Senior Editor at National Review, was our "brain" today on the Matt Friedeman Show. On the agenda: marriage in New York, Congressman Wu, and, of course, the debt ceiling.

Four rallies across New York City trying to get marriage on the ballot. Any chance of that happening?
Sure, sure there's a chance.

Probably some people think it's a done deal. That there's no hope in New York. Now go on to other states.

I know they do it out of conviction. So they're going to give it their best effort.

I think a lot of the activists do what they do, because they think they must. Come what may.
What do we learn from David Wu type episodes?
Sometimes they go quickly - these congressmen and senators - and sometimes they linger.

I'm glad this particular congressman was found out.

A reader contacted me over the weekend, and asked what is the meaning of "unwanted sexual encounter." 
If it's rape, call it rape!
What is going to happen with the debt-ceiling?
I reach for the oldest cliche in the book. I think of the game of chicken.

It seems to me that this is what the Republicans and Democrats are doing right now.

I don't want to bear the bad news, but the Democrats have the advantage.

I think so far Obama has done a better PR job.

I think Republicans, if they can, should not acquiesce in this. That they should do something short-term.

Here comes another cliche, the voters are going to have to sort this out.

The decision they make...will determine how this looming armageddon goes.
Republicans are really up against it, aren't they?
My feeling is that the 2012 election will focus the mind.
It's a fool that says 2012 has nothing to do with this.
I couldn't agree more.
Do you suspect Republicans can get out of this without tax increases?
I think they'll have to pull a Houdini if they want to.
Is August 2nd a real date?
I think it's a semi-real date.

There ought to be a deadline. As the saying goes, the markets ought to be reassured.

I think Americans around the world...look a little bit silly.

People are right to sound the alarm. Republicans ought to play the cards they have, but darn it, they don't have the best cards.

It's really a black and white issue. There's not a lot of gray here. Republicans are dug in on one position. Democrats are dug in on the other.

This class warfare stuff is working.

We look so silly, I think.
Jay Nordlinger, thanks for coming on.
I'm sorry to be so depressing.
I think I can say this on this network. The government is on His shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment