Monday, May 16, 2011

Brain Trust - Kathryn Jean Lopez

Kathryn Jean Lopez, Editor-at-large for National Review Online, came on the Matt Friedeman Show today to assess the GOP presidential contenders from a social conservative viewpoint.

Who are the viable possibilities for social conservatives in 2012?
It's really hard to tell.

I don't think it's an implausible possibility that Tim Pawlenty could win.

But I don't think that's a given by any chance.

There are plausible scenarios where Romney could the the nominee. And I think there's a reasonable amount of evidence that he would be a social conservative.

The way that Trump talks about being a prolifer is so hard to believe.

People are talking about Mitch Daniels, but he's driving people crazy, including myself, by talking about calling a truce on social issues.

It could be a chaotic primary. It could also wind up being a fairly mundane primary.
George Will was on Meet the Press, saying it could be Obama, Daniels, or Pawlenty. Do you agree?
No, I don't.

I think Pawlenty is very plausible. I think Daniels, if he got in could be plausible too.

I sort of worry that a Chris Christie candidacy could be like a Fred Thompson candidacy.

I wouldn't be as confident as George Will, saying it would be Pawlenty or Daniels, though I think that's plausible.
Is there value of Herman Cain being in the race?
I predicted before the debate started that he'd win, and that's how it turned out.

There's just a serious experience problem.

He's a good man, a successful businessman. Nothing hurt by having him in the mix.

Rick Santorum, I think, adds a lot to the race. I don't know if he's going to win in the end, but he brings up issues that others wouldn't normally deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment