Thursday, January 19, 2012

Brain Trust - Hunter Baker

Hunter Baker is an Associate Dean at Union University, and a blogger at First Things. He joined The Matt Friedeman Show to discuss the presidential candidates. Here are the "CliffsNotes" of his interview.

What's your take on Santorum's Iowa win?
I'm not surprised. I think that he pretty much got the winner's treatment out of Iowa. He got to make a primetime speech, his campaign went from nothing to something.

Of course, he would have preferred that he be touted as the winner, but at the same time there are a lot of people who have done well in Iowa and gone on to be irrelevant.

I think it's a credit to him and his campaign that he has managed to stay in the mix. He's continued to be a player.
Predictions for Marianne Gingrich's upcoming disclosures?
In my darker moments, I wonder if the Romney campaign is behind this.

Marianne Gingrich did a long interview with Esquire Magazine in 2010. I've read that interview, and if that's all she says, it won't hurt Gingrich. It's negative, but not a killer.

But I hear from another source that she may say something new. If she makes this new allegation, then I think he would be sunk.
Is it unfair for the media to jump on this?
I don't think so. The media runs after the story. It seems newsworthy; it can speak to the character of the man.

I hope that they would do the same thing if we were talking about participants in the Democratic contest.
Does Gingrich have a real chance?
If Marianne Gingrich goes on TV and says the same things she's already said, Newt may have a chance of winning this SC primary.

Also, I have heard that Perry may drop out and play king-maker. He may support Gingrich and derail the Romney campaign.

If he does that and the interview with Marianne Gingrich is not as damaging as it could be, Newt really has a chance of winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment